Triangle Pose – Trikonasana
Trikonasana provides a nice side stretch to the spine.
How to come into the pose
- Stand straight, with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- As you inhale, bring your arms up next to your ears and reach upward, extending and lengthening your spine.
- Place your palms together, making sure that your hands stay in a straight line above your forehead.
- As you exhale, press your right heel into the floor and reach up and out to your left side.
- Extend your entire torso to your left, initiating the movement at the base of your spine and keeping both sides of your torso elongated.
Coming out of the pose
Inhale and return to the standing position. Relax your arms for a moment, then repeat on the other side.
Regular practice in a steady and comfortable manner within a balanced yoga asana program
- stimulates the Sacral Chakra and therefore balances the functions of your urinary tract, kidneys, and gonads;
- stimulates your liver and spleen and therefore helps to detoxify;
- gives a lateral stretch to your spine and your back muscles;
- realigns your spine, relieving and correcting scoliosis;
- increases blood flow and nutrient supply to intervertebral disks, keeping your spine young and supple;
- tones and strengthens your abdominals and back muscles; and improves balance and concentration.