What is the Crown Chakra?
The seven chakras in the body are symbolized by the petal of a lotus flower preserving the flow of energy. The complete opening of all the petals achieves a universal balance of body, mind, and spirit. Sahasrara Chakra is the seventh chakra that activates the divine energy.
The Sanskrit word Sahasrara means 'thousand' or 'infinite'. The Sahasrara Chakra is located at the top of the head and is also known as the Crown Chakra. Sahasrara is the final of the seven chakras. It creates a strong connection with the supreme Self. The awakening of the Crown Chakra means a universal flow of energy and spiritual enlightenment. It is represented by pure white light or violet color. The seed mantra of Sahasrara Chakra is AUM. It is considered to influence brain functions such as memory, intelligence, and sharp focus.
Characteristics of the Crown Chakra
When the Sahasrara Chakra activates, it brings a more positive outlook on life. There are visible changes in our habits and attitude. The Self is no longer ruled by the ego. Emotions like gratitude, compassion, and acceptance become our true Self. It is a rejection of all negative thoughts that bring unhappiness and stress in our lives. A balanced Crown Chakra brings spiritual understanding and peace with a clear perspective. When the Crown Chakra is unbalanced or blocked, he or she may experience disillusionment, boredom, melancholy, and restlessness.
The Spiritual Connection of the Colour Violet
Violet or white is the color of the Crown Chakra. Violet is the color of spirituality. It is a unifying color that contains all the qualities of other chakras when completely activated. It brings a strong emotion of letting go and also the joy of transformation. There is a realization of a profound change. The spirit of violet allows the self to look beyond the merely physical and material values of existence.
Signs of a Blocked Crown Chakra
The biggest challenge of the Crown Chakra is on a mental level; when someone is too withdrawn and attached to the materialistic pursuits of this existence as well as stuck in their way of thinking. A person with a blocked Crown Chakra may experience unwillingness to be open to other ideas, thoughts, or knowledge. The signs such as psychosis, dissociation from the body, being disconnected and ungrounded are also manifested when the Crown Chakra is unbalanced. This chakra can produce different symptoms depending on excessive or insufficient activity.
The Symptoms of an Overactive Crown Chakra
- Spiritual addiction
- Self-destructive tendencies
- Overwhelmed by knowledge
The Symptoms of an Underactive Crown Chakra
- Confusion about what you want to do
- Lack of inspiration
- Desire to oversleep
Physical Symptoms of an Imbalanced Crown Chakra
- Poor coordination
- Chronic tension headaches
How to Activate and Unblock the Crown Chakra
The seventh Sahasrara Chakra guides our mental and spiritual intellect. The energy of the Crown Chakra is supplied by the other six chakras. This is the reason it is important to work on the lower six chakras to effectively activate the Crown Chakra.
Crown Chakra Meditations
All meditation practices are good for keeping the seven chakras open and aligned. Meditation promotes self-awareness, emotional regulation, and relaxation.
Here are the steps you need to go through a simple Crown Chakra meditation:
- Sit in a comfortable position with back straight and feet resting on the floor.
- Bring your hands in a ‘mudra’ position by placing your hands on your knees and turning your palms towards the sky.
- Shut your eyes close and inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth.
- Continue to breathe slowly and evenly. Imagine the lotus petals unfurling with the white color.
- Visualize the bright color surrounding the crown of your head and slowly spreading throughout your body.
- Open your eyes after 5 to 10 minutes and sit quietly for some time.
Chanting the seed mantra AUM also helps in the deep meditation and healing of the Crown Chakra.
Yoga Asanas for Activating the Crown Chakra
Yoga poses where your forehead touches the ground as well as seated postures are beneficial in awakening the Crown Chakra. Here are three yoga asana that can be easily performed to balance the Crown Chakra:
- Headstand | Shirshasana - This yoga asana is considered an ideal posture for stimulating the energy in the Crown Chakra. While engaging the core muscles, this asana also develops strength, steadiness, and energy. Try to maintain this posture for at least five easy breaths. Regular practice of Shirshasana gives clarity of mind and balance.
- Rabbit Pose | Sasangasana - Rabbit Pose is a wonderful way to find a deep connection with the Crown Chakra. This yoga pose relaxes your head, spine, and shoulders.
- Kneel and bow forward, bring the crown of your head toward the floor.
- Cup your heels with your hands by reaching the back with your arms.
- Lightly touch the floor with your head instead of a firm pressure down into the ground.
- After several breaths, lower your hips toward your heels, release your grip on the heels, and roll up through your spine to a seated position.
- Corpse Pose | Savasana - This is the simplest and the most effective yoga asana to practice detachment. It teaches you to fully let go of your desires, expectations, efforts, and judgments. Increase the benefits to the Crown Chakra while in this pose by visualizing white light entering from the crown of your head and descending the length of your spine as you inhale. As you exhale, visualize the light rising back up the length of your spine to the crown of your head.
Affirmations for Crown Chakra Balance
Affirmations are the best technique for balancing the chakras. All of them aim to boost confidence and faith in oneself without any judgments or Ego. These affirmations promote an open Crown Chakra.
- Divinity resides within.
- I am open to new ideas.
- Information I need comes to me.
- The world is my teacher.
- I am guided by a higher power.
- I am guided by inner wisdom.
Foods for Crown Chakra Balance
The Crown Chakra foods are natural, wholesome foods that promote general well-being. Foods that are fresh and organic, vegetables, fruits, brown rice, brown bread, and hearty broths help to bring energy centers into alignment. Violet foods like eggplant and red grapes are great as they are the colors of the Crown Chakra. Ginger spice has cleansing benefits and promotes spiritual clarity. Herbal teas reduce blockages by promoting health in your digestive system.
Each chakra represents spiritual energy that helps us understand ourselves better. Sahasrara Chakra energy residing at the crown of the head is a realization of completeness. By bringing balance and peace to the body and mind, we can overcome obstacles, let go of emotional blockages, and walk the path towards spiritual consciousness.